Musepack Forums

Musepack Forums (https://forum.musepack.net/index.php)
-   MPC for UNIX (https://forum.musepack.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to encode mpc under ripperX (https://forum.musepack.net/showthread.php?t=56)

Dro77naR 28 September 2004 10:36 am

How to encode mpc under ripperX

Hi.

I've just configured ripperX, actually cdparanoia to work with ripperX, but only for encode mp3 files and I would like to configure them to make mpc files. How can I do it? And which encoder should I use? Version 1.14 or 1.15r?

Seed 28 September 2004 11:32 am

Does anyone use RipperX? I see no mention of Musepack support, but I cannot test it myself.

Regarding mppenc, if you find --standard good enough, stay with 1.14. You're not likely to tell the difference between 1.15r and 1.14. If you don't mind slightly bigger files, go with 1.15r. At --insane and above, I cannot find any sample that sounds worse with 1.15r. It's more likely that some samples will benefit from 1.15r at such settings. What do you mostly listen to?

Dro77naR 28 September 2004 12:04 pm

Quote:

Does anyone use RipperX? I see no mention of Musepack support, but I cannot test it myself.

Regarding mppenc, if you find --standard good enough, stay with 1.14. You're not likely to tell the difference between 1.15r and 1.14. If you don't mind slightly bigger files, go with 1.15r. At --insane and above, I cannot find any sample that sounds worse with 1.15r. It's more likely that some samples will benefit from 1.15r at such settings. What do you mostly listen to?
I do, because I don't like console ;)
Under Windows I prefered Xtreme and BrainDead prestets...
So, if using mpcenc is impossible in ripperx, how can I use it in console? I think about encoding full albums, not single files and I can't imagine writing the same command for each file :)

Dro77naR 01 October 2004 11:03 pm

Anybody could answer me...

Ganymed 02 October 2004 09:36 pm

Sorry, I've missed your post.

Quote:

So, if using mpcenc is impossible in ripperx, how can I use it in console? I think about encoding full albums, not single files and I can't imagine writing the same command for each file :)
I don't know anything about RipperX, but you can use a simple shell script to encode all files in one directory. Simply save the following lines in a file called mpcenc.sh and set the executable bit:

Code:

#!/bin/sh

for file in *wav

do

mppenc --xtreme --xlevel "$file"

done

Best regards,
~ Florian

Dro77naR 02 October 2004 09:40 pm

And then .mpc file will have same name as .wav?

Ganymed 02 October 2004 09:44 pm

Quote:

And then .mpc file will have same name as .wav?
Yes, it will - just try it :)

Dro77naR 02 October 2004 09:50 pm

thanks a lot :)

Dro77naR 03 October 2004 10:34 am

I tried, and I have a problem.
I used --braindead not --xtreme and in info about mpc files there is:
Code:

SV: 7.0, Profile: Unstable/Experimental

Encoder: --Alpha-- 1.15

And my next question: what should I add in mppenc.sh file to delete encoded .wav files?

Shy 03 October 2004 10:49 am

That's not a problem, the profile in files encoded by mppenc 1.15r is 'Unstable/Experimental', files encoded by 1.14 have the profile's name.
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>(About what to add to mppenc.sh to delete .wav files, I don't know)</span>

Ganymed 03 October 2004 10:56 am

Quote:

And my next question: what should I add in mppenc.sh file to delete encoded .wav files?
Just use
Code:

#!/bin/sh

for file in *wav

do

mppenc --xtreme --xlevel "$file"

rm "$file"

done

Dro77naR 03 October 2004 11:03 am

Thank you very much but I forgot about something else...
I hope you are patient for lame users :)
Can I tag files using mppenc and mppenc.sh file? If it is possible, how can I do it?

The_Paranoid 05 October 2004 07:45 pm

Maybe here is something useful.
Abcde is a frontend command-line utility for ripping,encoding and tagging in one step. It also supports FreeDB. I made some small changes on abcde2.20pre to support MPC Encoding.
It only needs cdparanoia and mppenc installed. Maybe you want to make some changes in abcde.conf to fit your needs but it should work out of the box.

Download abcde with MPC-Support
Link to abcde Homepage

Speek 05 October 2004 07:47 pm

I use this script. It will tag the mpc files, but only if your wav files are named like: /some/path/artist - album/tracknr - title

Code:

#!/bin/sh

mppenc_options="--braindead --xlevel --deleteinput"

echo "Current mppenc options: $mppenc_options"

echo -n "Okay to use these? [Y/n] "

read okay

[ -z "$okay" ] && okay=y

if [ "$okay" = "n" ]

then

mppenc_options=""

while [ -z "$mppenc_options" ]

do

echo -n "Enter new mppenc options ('h' for help): "

read mppenc_options

if [ "$mppenc_options" = "h" ]

then

mppenc --longhelp

echo

mppenc_options=""

fi

done

elif [ ! "$okay" = "y" ]

then

echo "Wrong answer. Bye!"

exit 1

fi

dir=`pwd`

artalb=`basename "$dir"`

artist=`echo "$artalb" | sed -e "s/ - /t/" | cut -f 1`

album=`echo "$artalb" | sed -e "s/ - /t/" | cut -f 2`

for file in *.wav

do

tracknr=`echo "$file" | sed -e "s/ - /t/" | cut -f 1`

title=`echo "$file" | sed -e "s/ - /t/" | cut -f 2 | cut -d "." -f 1`

nice mppenc $mppenc_options --artist "$artist" --album "$album" --title "$title" --track $tracknr "$file"

done

exit 0

edit: I changed the options so it will use braindead profile and delete the wav files (!).

Dro77naR 05 October 2004 07:51 pm

Actually I downloaded some libraries, and I installed Grip :) I thought it's impossible if I use KDE but I was wrong :)
Anyway, thank you for help :)