Thread: Listening tests
View Single Post
Old 09 April 2010, 10:58 am   #7
Antonski
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Antonski Send a message via Yahoo to Antonski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeballs View Post
What software are you using to encode your music?
At the moment Im using Foobar are there any better ?
Thanks
Encoding is usually done by command line tools (backend), mpcenc.exe in this case. So, the quality of encoded music would be the same if the same parameters were used. So, for encoding you can use the GUI frontend, which is more comfortable for you, why not Foobar?

There is a (kind of) consensus that Foobar2000 is the most reliable (as audio quality) audio player. It is fast and it will do almost everything you can think of. Moreover, it was the first player with native Musepack support. I use it as a reference player.
It is not easy for configuration though, and the default user interface is not what everybody would like.

There is a (kind of) consensus that EAC is the best secure CD ripper, especially if there is no AccurateRip match for the ripped CD. However, it is a killer for your drive (in secure mode). So, if not necessary, secure mode is not recommended, if you want to use your drive longer. That's why it is better to try first burst or fast mode with AccurateRip verification and if the rip is OK, there is no need to go to secure mode. I use it as a reference ripper.

However, if you need a powerful, yet fast and feature rich audio player (and library organizer), I would suggest trying MusicBee. It has a nice user interface (some say iTunes like, I don't know), but still as fast as FB (no matter how big the library is), with almost the same features, it has a secure rip mode with AccurateRip verification, and it has a rapid development! The latest (beta) release can be downloaded from here, it is weekly updated and always full with nice surprises.

Just my 2 ct.
Antonski is offline   Reply With Quote