View Single Post
Old 03 January 2012, 04:26 pm   #4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4

Hi Antonski and r2d, thank you for helping!

There is some good news: I've been through the process once again yesterday (I don't count the times I did that).
Actually I got it working this time I think!

I'm not sure yet I understood what happened, but I guess that
- usually when building the musepack tools, the install part was not full: After digging around, I realized that was not installed.
Under the ArchLinux distro, you first build a package upon compilation, and then install it over the older one (like in most distros...).
It results (I guess) that I was running mpd (0.16.6) built to support the newest musepack library, but actually linked to the previous one.
I copied manually the to /usr/lib and checked with ldd the linking

Is that possible that my previous attempts were actually linked with the older lib, and yet it was running (a weird fashion, but with no error)?
More over in my previous compilation attempts, I manually copied the lib as well (or I manually erased the older lib before installing). After all maybe it's another problem.

Anyway after doing so, I was not finished yet: all the files were playing a constant ugly noise on top of them (but different from the usual one which was on specific parts of the track, always the same) .

I then played around with the mpd configuration, and noticed that the replaygain was on, so I assumed that the level used to correct the volume was way too loud for some reason. After unselecting the replaygain, the files which were not playing correctly were sounding nice again.

I'm going to test more thoroughly with other files, as it did work on some on not on others before my latest compilation attempt.

Maybe the problem is elsewhere, as I found in ArchLinux, in the "community" repository a build script which I used this time only. But I don't think they used a patch in it, though I didn't check (what I'm sure is that they forgot the file).

So if my guesses are right, there are only two minor problems:
- building musepack tools is sometimes done by packagers without actually installing the new lib (they only install the tools, mpcenc etc.) - or I just did something wrong which is also a possibility which must not be excluded !
- replaygain may need some attention, but I can live without it.
All my files were created in sv7, then converted to sv8. I just don't know if replaygain was calculated on them.

I'll post you in a couple of hours a file which was playing badly if you're interested, just to see if this was only local to my setup or if it happens elsewhere.

Anyway thanks for your help
njak is offline   Reply With Quote