Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > General

Closed Thread

Old 08 June 2005, 01:34 am   #1
kewldude606

Default Audible difference between CD-->MPC-->MP3 and CD-->

I'm ripping my CD collection to my hard drive in MPC (with xtreme or insane settings...which is better audio fidelity wise?). If I then convert it to a VBR MP3 with a max bitrate of 256kb/s, will I notice a difference if I just batch convert the MPC files to MP3 if I am listening with standard oiPod headphones with a 3G iPod with moderate-low background noise?
Old 08 June 2005, 06:07 am   #2
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

Send a message via ICQ to xmixahlx

Quote:
(with xtreme or insane settings...which is better audio fidelity wise?).
i'm assuming this is a question. so i'll answer:
insane is higher quality

for just casual ipod use, i don't think you'll even detect a difference at --standard (or, perhaps, care if you did).

firstly test some random tracks out at --standard on your ipod (maybe even do an ABX for fun) and scale from there.

also, your mp3 encode settings will have a large effect on this, so you might want to figure that out, too.

later
Old 09 June 2005, 01:28 am   #3
kewldude606

Do you mean using --standard for encoding to my computer or using --al preset standard in LAME? I know I'm using insane for ripping to my computer, but iPods can't play MPC.
Old 09 June 2005, 05:21 am   #4
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

sorry, i should have been more clear.

(assume now that it is a given that you want to transcode from mpc to mp3.)

i meant, start with your musepack files using default quality (q5 or --standard) THEN encode with lame.

if YOU detect a difference, and that difference is annoying to you, then scale to --xtreme ... --insane ... --braindead ... etc

also, i'd avoid lame at cbr256. use preset (medium and standard) vbr with a max and min bitrate.

later
Old 22 June 2005, 08:36 pm   #5
kewldude606

Thanks for your help. I wanted to use LAME to make the MP3 files, but it doesn't encode directly from MPC to MP3. Are there any other free encoders that go from MPC to MP3 or something I can do to LAME to make it work with MPC files?

Thanks.
Old 22 June 2005, 08:50 pm   #6
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

someone on irc just had the same situation... maybe that was you, if so just disregard this stuff...

several programs on widows do this (foobar2000, frontah, dbpoweramp) as well as the cli programs themselves.

so... you can pipe mppdec to lame.

*nix:
mppdec *mpc - | lame --alt-preset standard - somemp3.mp3

for file in *mpc:do mppdec *mpc - | lame --alt-preset standard - "$file".mp3;rename 's/.mpc.mp3/.mp3/' *.mpc.mp3;done

later
Old 23 June 2005, 06:15 pm   #7
kewldude606

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmixahlx
someone on irc just had the same situation... maybe that was you, if so just disregard this stuff...

several programs on widows do this (foobar2000, frontah, dbpoweramp) as well as the cli programs themselves.

so... you can pipe mppdec to lame.

*nix:
mppdec *mpc - | lame --alt-preset standard - somemp3.mp3

for file in *mpc:do mppdec *mpc - | lame --alt-preset standard - "$file".mp3;rename 's/.mpc.mp3/.mp3/' *.mpc.mp3;done

later
No, that wasn't me..

I have foobar, I downloaded it just to transcode my MPCs to MP3s but I couldn't find out how. Is it easy? If so, how would I do it? If not, how would I do it in the CLI for Windows? I suppose it would be something with stdin and out...
Old 15 July 2005, 12:55 am   #8
R.A.F.

Send a message via ICQ to R.A.F.

Id recommend you to use Frontah. Its (my opinion) easier to configure than Foobar for transcoding-purposes.
Old 15 July 2005, 05:33 pm   #9
Shy
Admin

Since people have decided to go off topic yet again, let me see how it is for a second:
If you downloaded foobar2000 just to convert MPCs to MP3s, that's pretty sad.
Yes, you are likely to notice an audible difference. But why not try and hear for yourself instead of asking people?
In foobar2000 you just select one of the encoder options in the CLI encoder (included in special installer) and choose the location of the exe. In the playlist you right click the files you want to convert and choose convert.
I don't know about Frontah, and I could care less to read what people think is the best frontend in a thread called "Audible difference between CD-->MPC-->MP3 and CD-->"

How was this for an incoherent, topicless post?

Maybe you don't take rules too seriously, but if you want to continue to be a member of this forum, follow the terms of service.
Closed Thread