Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > MPC for Windows

Old 03 August 2004, 10:16 pm   #1
GhostyDog

Default How Do I Install the plugin for Winamp?

Hi

I recently...um...acquired... some .mpc files that I would very much like to play, up until now I have been using WMP however this app doesn't support your codec so I have now downloaded winamp 5.

It's been a while since I used Winamp and 5 is defo a step upwards (although a slight rip off of iTunes)

I'd like to know what to do with the executable I downloaded. I ran it and it opened up the command line but if it installed the dll and decoder info it did it somewhere I can't find it. Especially as I don't really know what I am looking for.

The Forum is great, aint phpBB cool? :lol:

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA
Old 03 August 2004, 10:52 pm   #2
Neptune

Send a message via ICQ to Neptune
Default Re: How Do I Install the plugin for Winamp?

Hi GhostyDog,

Quote:
I recently...um...acquired... some .mpc files that I would very much like to play, up until now I have been using WMP however this app doesn't support your codec so I have now downloaded winamp 5.
it is very well possible to play Musepack files with the Windows Media Player or any other player that supports DirectShow, you just have to download and install the MPC DirectShow filter. To those in charge of Musepack.net, it might be a good idea to add it to the download area, although I have to admit that educating people about better audio players like foobar2000 should be preferred, of course.

Quote:
I'd like to know what to do with the executable I downloaded. I ran it and it opened up the command line but if it installed the dll and decoder info it did it somewhere I can't find it.
I suppose you have downloaded and run this executable. It should show a setup window where you can chose the path of your Winamp directory, and supposing you have entered the correct path, the Plugin in_mpc.dll should be installed to the Plugins subfolder. If it starts a command line window (I hope I understood that right), there has most likely been a transfer error during the download, try to re-download the file.
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2004, 04:21 am   #3
SweMule

Hi GhostyDog

You can check to see if the plug-in is installed in Winamp 5 by clicking OPTIONS - PREFERENCES - (PLUG-INS) INPUT. Then you see a list of all the .dll's installed.
If you can't find it there, then click on 'Get Plug-Ins' down on the right. Search for the MPC plug-in, then when downloading you chose 'Open' in stead of 'Save On Computer'. That should do the trick I guess.
Old 04 August 2004, 04:34 pm   #4
toastt

Hola!

Yes, it's possible to play Musepack files via DirectShow Filters on Microsofts Media Player but there are some disadvantages like: missing tag support, playlist doesn't work for Musepack files...

And GhostyDog believe in Neptunes saying and give foobar2000 a try: you can download it at http://www.foobar2000.org and you will have no problem to play your files because Musepack support is standard here.

Regarding your Winamp problem:

Start "in_mpc_0.99d.exe" (http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/seed/download...n_mpc_0.99d.exe) and a window will ask you to "select the installation directory" which is usually "Crogram fileswinamp". If it isn't you need to click on BROWSE and select the right directory (not the plugin directory). Proceed by clicking INSTALL and the plugin will be copied. You'll see some text (you called it command-line) like:

Code:
Output folder: c:program fileswinampplugins

Extract: in_mpc.dll

Completed.
And that's all. Start Winamp and Musepack is yours!

Good luck :wink:
toastt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2004, 08:49 pm   #5
dosti

Quote:
Hola!

Yes, it's possible to play Musepack files via DirectShow Filters on Microsofts Media Player but there are some disadvantages like: missing tag support, playlist doesn't work for Musepack files...

And GhostyDog believe in Neptunes saying and give foobar2000 a try: you can download it at http://www.foobar2000.org and you will have no problem to play your files because Musepack support is standard here.

Good luck :wink:
Hallo,
at first: sorry for my "crazy" English. ops:

There is an another problem with MPC DirectShow filter too.
It seems, the executable for this filter: RadlightMPC.exe is a Spyware Installer. :evil:
I get this information after a analysis on my PC with the programm
"Spybot - Search&Destroy".
Not the filter is Spyware, only there is inside an Add-On for the Spyware.
Maybe it is possible to delete this Add-On after the Installation. With "Spybot - S&D" or with similar programm.
It don't means that ALL DirectShow filter for Windows Player have the same problem. I don't get this "bad" information about FLAC filter or Vorbis.
Perhaps this is not a big problem for you, GhostyDog, or for the others.
I only want to report this in FORUM.
But the idea to try foobar2000 is a very, very good tip for you.
Because foobar is an great "laborer" and player.
dosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2004, 09:26 pm   #6
Ganymed
Administrator

Quote:
There is an another problem with MPC DirectShow filter too.
It seems, the executable for this filter: RadlightMPC.exe is a Spyware Installer. :evil:
I've just installed the MPC Direct Show Filter and scanned my system with the latest Spybot S&D which didn't report anything.
Maybe you have a free ad supported pre 4 version of RadLight installed.

But please let's try to stay on topic.

Best regards,
~ Florian
Ganymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2004, 10:41 pm   #7
GhostyDog

Default Wow...

What a response, thank you all for your advice.

I shall try all of the things mentioned here, especially foobar2000. It would also be interesting to see if WMP can play the filesafter instalation of the directshow filter as I am using the WMP 10 beta currently.

Thanks again for the huge response. Your help is very much appreciated.

Sean aka GhostyDog

UPDATE:

I see now that the thing i downloaded and doubleclicked wasn't the installer for Winamp. All my apps now have support for MPC and I see immediately what all the fuss is about. The vast majority of my MPC Files are orchestral music and the vibrancy and warmth of playback is instantly acknowledged as being superior to the older MP3 format.

Kudos

Keep up the good work.

Old 01 May 2005, 07:15 pm   #8
fleasbaby

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to this whole MPC thing, and would appreciate a little help. A friend of mine in Poland sent what he said is an MPC file, but I'm battling to get it to play.

I tried the plugin for Winamp, but it didn't work at all. Is there something I need to configure in it before it will work? The screen shot in this string is exactly what I had when I installed it...

I even tried downloading Monkey's Audio (apparently it supports MPC) but to no avail.

Any advice would be welcome.
fleasbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2005, 08:11 pm   #9
Shy
Admin

fleasbaby, the plugin for Winamp works. If you can't play an MPC file after installing it, it's either not really an MPC audio file, or it is, but a damaged one.

Monkey's Audio is a completely different audio codec. The only way Musepack relates to Monkey's Audio is with its APEv2 tag system, that was extended from APE especially for Musepack and later adopted by Monkey's Audio.
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2005, 09:11 pm   #10
fleasbaby

Ah...I'll get back to him about the file...we've been using a site called dropload, and have experienced problems with files being corrupted (could be to do with compressing them before sending them)

Thanks Shy!
fleasbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2005, 02:29 am   #11
Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

Personally I'm lost to foobar2000 as my player of choice for audio on Win32. (Not that there's not other good players, like XMPlay, 1by1 and probably more....)

But as a recommendation for people who just wants the simplest and easiest software possible to simply playback formats like MusePack, Ogg Vorbis, Monkey's Audio, WavPack and more, I've started to name vuplayer. Nothing much to understand, no download & install of extra plugins, just install the player & play the files. Many find foobar2000, even Winamp way to difficult, too much hassle to understand... This thing could be a very good choice for them. Actually, it should be added to the Program Overview page... (And good to see Burrrn finally got added...)

vuplayer still lacks replaygain and cuesheet support, but that's hopefully features that will be added, the developer says it's on his list. Otherwise it looks like good, solid software...

EDIT: Typo.
Mr_Rabid_Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2005, 06:48 pm   #12
Shy
Admin

I'm sorry I have to mention this again, but please try to keep discussions on topic, as entry 4 in the terms of service mentions. The topic is the Winamp plugin. Software recommendations would be noticed far better in a separate topic as well as belong to it.
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote