Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > General

Old 10 October 2005, 01:22 am   #21
Vertigo

Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo

Seed, the logo is completely vector, I can change the colors in a matter of seconds. I will make a variation that fits the current color scheme.

If you would like, I could send you it so you can play with the colors and styles.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2005, 02:15 am   #22
Vertigo

Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo

Well, I think it looks goofy....but what the hell do I know?[/img]
Old 10 October 2005, 03:22 am   #23
Shy
Admin

Here's what I think. The thing is that I think the logo should actually have something to do with Musepack...you know, audio compression, audio technology, sound. It should be an image, you know, like the Ferrari logo, Fiat, FreeBSD, Fraunhofer, Windows, ID&T, NOD32, NVIDIA, Sennheiser...
As in some of the above examples, the actual name of the product can follow or be somehow embedded with the image in needed situations (take Sennheiser, perfect example).
I could create a logo consisting of a random simple form and the text "Musepack" long ago. But I want the logo to actually have a meaning, a unique, simple and flexible design, and that's not something you come by every day.
Colors and color gradients are not what's really important, the basic design is.

Vertigo: I think you obviously have talent, and an eye for colors, that's already promising. If you or we or anyone else come up with an idea for a logo, we'd definitely like to work together with you on developing it further.
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2005, 10:43 pm   #24
Kamen

Hello! As I said, in my spare time I will work through some of my ideas. Here is the first one which I created today. I can say I have a strong imagination, but zero experience with design software, which prevents me from using its capabilities in the best possible way and realizing finer and more complicated stuff (for now). Anyway, this is the result. My philosophy is that the logo should be specific and not too complex. It should say in some stylized form what Musepack is all about. It should be visible in both low and high resolutions, with and without colours. Observing this, I created my first idea, which allows Musepack to be easily distinguished.
Maybe the full name makes the logo a bit too long? Maybe a good compromise is to split the name into parts - "Muse" and "Pack"? Later, I'll fine-tune it.

Last edited by Kamen; 28 November 2010 at 12:30 pm. Reason: Correction of typing mistakes, obsolete links removed
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2005, 11:42 pm   #25
Shy
Admin

Whistler: I can't view the image. You could use image.hostbigger.com or a similar service (e.g. imageshack.us, photobucket.com).

I'm not sure what's in the logo, but I'm guessing the letters "MPC" are there In any case, I'd like to say it's not a very good idea to use "MPC" in the logo as it's an acronym very widely used by many companies and applications, thus already cauing confusion.
Dividing "Muse" and "Pack" is not a very good idea either. The name should be an intelligible, clarified single word, "Musepack".
Refer to my previous post for ideas and examples , and thanks for your contribution.
Old 20 October 2005, 12:04 am   #26
Kamen

Done, I've edited my previous post with the new location of the images.
The letters are really "Mpc" only (with a sinusoidal M ).
Well, if the logo is good-looking, then I think that it can be edited to "Musepack" (replacing "pc" with "usepack") or something like that...
Old 20 October 2005, 08:46 am   #27
Vertigo

I don't think logos these days have much to do with the product. A lot of times, it just has to look neat and be easy to identify. Trying to fit some sort of waveform, or showing compression, is really just gonna complicate the hell out of things I think. I think perhaps the sinusoidal M could be going somewhere, but I think it's much too flat. Perhaps skew it, to give it more action. I don't see specialized logos for audio formats, except for AAC plus, and it already uses a waveform. The MP3 Pro logo doesn't even have anything to do with audio, it just looks neat. I think the FLAC logo is lame. Frankly, if it is easy to distinguish, looks cool when slapped on a box or piece of hardware, It's all you need.
Old 20 October 2005, 10:35 am   #28
Kamen

Well, it's a question of philosophy and vision. Some logos can be random, like the one of MP3Pro, but this makes them universal logos... I prefer something more specific and oriented to the product. I don't see, or in fact, I don't want to see the MPC logo in another way. My logo isn't complicated at all. The sinusoide is accentuated as a letter. It represents both the "M" letter and stylized graphics of a signal. I can see a few different variations in my head, with a flexible sinusoide which is still not too random and also represents some parts of the remaining letters as well interesting forms, but now this is the thing which can make the logo more complicated... and I'll have some hard time realizing it on the PC. Later, I can work over this, though.
It doesn't matter that one or two logos (or even more over the world) use waveforms, they aren't the same and are used differently. I can say elipses are widely used in logos, too, even too widely. If we start checking and comparing logos all over the world, we'll find tons of similar elements.

Last edited by Kamen; 30 September 2010 at 11:08 am. Reason: Corrected stupid typing mistakes
Old 20 October 2005, 04:09 pm   #29
Seed
Musepack Nanny

I like Whistler's idea and Shy likes the logo too. We should collaborate and try to improve it. I think the sinusoidal m has been used many times in a logo but it still looks 'right' on Whistler's logo. I'm still convinced the logo should say "Musepack", though.
Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2005, 12:27 am   #30
Kamen

Good news, thanks.
I am going to post a link to the hi-res image.

Last edited by Kamen; 30 September 2010 at 11:09 am.
Old 06 November 2005, 01:30 am   #31
KHRoN

simple logo ;] can be either color/gray/b-w

Old 06 November 2005, 11:30 am   #32
Seed
Musepack Nanny

We've been busy with switching hosts and other matters regarding development. The decision about the logo will have to be delayed. Anyway, Whistler joined our IRC server and we did work a little on his logo. If anyone has a vector version of their logo, join us and we'll all work together, trying to create a logo we'll all like.
Old 06 November 2005, 05:03 pm   #33
KHRoN

PSD file http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X7AX7SBW

fonts used: Arial Black + Webdings
colors used: #EF6500 + #0050F0

I can help/change it... if you like my logo, but I am too busy/lazy for IRC
(not to mention the fact, that I am probably in different time zone, GMT+1 ;] )
Old 07 November 2005, 08:04 pm   #34
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

Send a message via ICQ to xmixahlx

most everyone here is from europe.

it is the americans that get lost in the cold around here. ...not to mention that seattle is cold around now anyways.

later
Old 13 November 2005, 01:36 am   #35
KHRoN

lol... forum seems to be dead(?)

BTW anything new concerning MPC's logo? I have used mine on my FAQ-Q&A about "What is MPC?" (http://www.khron.pl/modules/dokuwiki...hp?id=musepack) but I am curious of what is/waiting to know what will be official MPC logo

well... this seems to be a nice logo ;]
(old logo removed)
Old 07 December 2005, 02:01 pm   #36
Seed
Musepack Nanny

If we see no submissions here or on Hydrogenaudio other than the 3 we've seen in this thread we'll have to accept Whistler's logo and modify it for the current color scheme. This is the last chance for others to show their logo.
Old 15 December 2005, 09:37 pm   #37
Shy
Admin

As you can see, the new logo is now in use.
Whistler designed it and with a little help from Seed and me who continuously made his life hard, we're all very satisfied, and hope you like it too.
Thanks Whistler!
Old 15 December 2005, 10:46 pm   #38
Kamen

You are welcome!
Cheers!
Old 15 December 2005, 11:24 pm   #39
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

Send a message via ICQ to xmixahlx

perhaps the site/forum colors should be changed now, too?

dunno
later
Old 15 December 2005, 11:47 pm   #40
Shy
Admin

xmixahlx: but we like the colors In a poll we had, almost everyone voted "excellent" or "very good" for the forum's colors/look.