Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > General

Old 11 June 2008, 05:19 pm   #1
sidewalking

Default SV8 conversion vs SV8 native encode

Hi all,

I have a question about the upcoming SV8 and its lossless conversion utility. Will this mean that after conversion from SV7 to SV8, all of my existing SV7 files will have ALL improvements of the SV8 specs, just as if I had encoded them with the SV8 encoder right then?

Or will there be some (if minor) differences as if I encoded the same file with 1.16 SV7 and with the final SV8 release (apart from a slightly smaller file due to the ~2% efficiency increase)?

I am doing a mass conversion and cannot save all of my stuff in lossless, and I would like the piece of mind. 

Thanks,
Scott
sidewalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 08:21 pm   #2
Seed
Musepack Nanny

Hi Scott

First thing, SV8 in its current state is not recommended for mass-encoding all your files to. The spec could still change, rendering your newly-created files almost useless.

As for the conversion process, the one advantage newly-created SV8 files have is that digital clipping is handled much better. Otherwise, when you convert an SV7 file to an SV8 file you benefit from the better compression (the file will be ~2% smaller) and for all intents and purposes it will look like a new SV8 file (created with the SV8 encoder) to an application that supports SV8.
Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 09:31 pm   #3
sidewalking

Thanks Seed. I wouldn’t use SV8 yet, because of its state, but was wondering if I will lose much in using the stable SV7 for my current project and then doing the conversion when SV8 is ready to roll. The clipping issue – would that apply to a converted SV7-encoded file, or only new encodes (since the clipping issue may be permanently set upon the original SV7 encode? (Hope that made sense…)
sidewalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2008, 11:47 am   #4
Shy
Admin

Hi Scott.

Don't worry, you won't lose anything. The internal clipping in the encoder, scalefactor clipping, occurs in all lossy audio formats (including mp3, aac, vorbis). The difference is that the Musepack encoder actually lets you know while others don't. It will warn you when clipping has occured. Unless you encode extremely loud or unusual material, you won't get such a warning. In any case, if there is clipping, you'll know. It's rarely ever noticeable and usually caused when the audio to be encoded is already very loud (and often distorted) due to bad mastering usually.

The difference in SV8 is that it effectively eliminates the possibility of clipping by raising the dynamic range that can be handled significantly above what SV7 and other formats handle, to over 200db.

In short, you can safely use SV7 and convert the files to SV8 later and they'll have no limitation like any SV8 file.
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote