Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > MPC for Windows

Old 23 August 2005, 05:36 pm   #1
cmamet

Default Crash in winamp with the musepack plugin

I'm using winamp (version 5.094) with the musepack plugin (version 0.99f) and I've just noticed an easy way to make it crash:
- play a mpc file
- click the stop button
- delete the mpc file (or rename it, or move it, ... in other words make its path not valid)
- click the play button

=> winamp will then freeze

I can't reproduce this defect with a mp3 files, so I guess it's caused by a bug in the musepack plugin.
cmamet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2005, 06:49 pm   #2
Seed
Musepack Nanny

I happen to have 5.094 here (Jul 18 2005) and it doesn't happen with my files. Can you please send me a file that causes this? Share it from a web site and private-message me the address, or I can give you an email address to send it to. If it's not file-specific and happens to you with any .mpc, try to give more info about your setup. OS, hardware, etc...
Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2005, 08:20 pm   #3
cmamet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed
If it's not file-specific and happens to you with any .mpc, try to give more info about your setup. OS, hardware, etc...
No, it's not file-specific, it happens with any mpc file.
I've not been able to reproduce the crash on a second PC, so I copied the winamp.ini file from the 1st to the 2nd PC and after that the crash could be reproduced on the 2nd PC too. So I guess there's something in my winamp.ini file that the mpc plugin doesn't like.

I can send you my winamp.ini file if that can help, just give me an email address.
Old 01 September 2005, 09:16 pm   #4
miksha

Hi,

Please read the last post at:

http://www.musepack.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39

And there is another link besides http://kotnik.ns-linux.org/mpc

and it is: http://miksha.italy.com

Or wait for a new Winamp plugin as I heard it will be rewritten by Case.

Regards, Miksha!
miksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2005, 12:03 am   #5
Shy
Admin

It's not related to that issue. It's just yet another one of those Winamp mixups that no one feels like dealing with.
Case has no plans to write a new plugin for Winamp.
As was recommended to cmamet by PM, we recommend everyone to switch to foobar2000 or another, modern player over Winamp.
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2005, 01:32 am   #6
miksha

Hi,

OK! Then it's my mistake ): I already use Foobar2000 because it's far better than Winamp. Actually I could say the best audio player, but that's just my opinion and it's offtopic, so I stop.

Sorry one more time! No more reply to this topic from me!

Regards, Miksha

P.S. About Case & Winamp plugin, I just said that because Case himself has told me that if he could he would rewrite it. He probably changed his mind!
Old 04 September 2005, 01:40 pm   #7
cmamet

Miksha,
I've tried your patched plugin and have not been able to reproduce the cash with it .
So, even if your patch originally aimed at fixing a different issue, as Shy stated, it seems to incidentally work around the crash I reported.
Good enough for me ! Many thanks.
Old 04 September 2005, 07:16 pm   #8
Shy
Admin

Quote:
I've not been able to reproduce the crash on a second PC, so I copied the winamp.ini file from the 1st to the 2nd PC and after that the crash could be reproduced on the 2nd PC too. So I guess there's something in my winamp.ini file that the mpc plugin doesn't like.
cmamet: The above quote gave me the impression that the issue you described could not be reproduced with the Winamp plugin from our site and therefore the issue is with a messed up ini file.
If the Winamp plugin on our site indeed doesn't contain a similar fix as Miksha's, we should replace it with Miksha's. Clarification is needed. The version however would have to be changed to 0.99g.
Old 04 September 2005, 10:51 pm   #9
cmamet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy
cmamet: The above quote gave me the impression that the issue you described could not be reproduced with the Winamp plugin from our site and therefore the issue is with a messed up ini file.
To reproduce the cash on a fresh winamp install, I need to add the mpc plugin (the official one, downloaded from the musepack.net site) + my ini file.
I can't reproduce it with the mpc plugin alone, or the ini file alone.
So my ini file may indeed be broken, but it seems the mpc plugin is the only one who can't handle it.
The plugin is definitely involved with the crash.

If I can find enough free time, I could try to identify exactly which part of the ini file upsets the mpc plugin. But is this really needed if the plugin is not maintained anymore ?
Old 05 September 2005, 01:15 am   #10
Shy
Admin

This is not really understandable.
Try to rename Miksha's dll to "in_mpc.dll" and replace the official in_mpc.dll with it and use your ini file that fails with the official.
The plugin being hardly maintained doesn't mean we should provide no support.
Old 05 September 2005, 01:32 am   #11
cmamet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy
Try to rename Miksha's dll to "in_mpc.dll" and replace the official in_mpc.dll with it and use your ini file that fails with the official.
This is exactly what I did to install Miksha's plugin !
Old 05 September 2005, 01:55 am   #12
Shy
Admin

OK. I suppose that it is related to the issue mentioned in that thread after all. So we'll see what Miksha has to say.
Old 05 September 2005, 06:18 am   #13
miksha

Hi,

I changed the version to 0.99g and changed a code a bit, so now it really does what Case intended the first way. It regularly shows/hides all error messages. And of course no crash on dead entries in a playlist.

Shy, you asked for clarification, so I would try to do so. Naimly, the original o.99e and 0.99f versions were built with error on/of support, but had a bug! The plugin has few different error codes (file missing or cannot acces, stream error, header error etc.) and it can show them for every file or not. But when a file is missing and "Disable error messages" is ON, it was failing to return the error to the Winamp, too! That's why Winamp got freezed! It's quite a big bug in my opinion, though not much code fix. If you try to open a playlist that has dead entries (e.g. removed songs from original location) Winamp freezes! Normally all (as long as I know) other plugins behave in a way to skip unavailable file and play the next available. It's annoying to me (but there are different people in this world) and I don't like having all my playlists clean, or else I should click OK every time an error message pops up. And much less to end up with a freezed application.

The name of the plugin is not much important as long as it fullfills the patern: "in_SOMETHING.dll" because all plugins are loaded every time Winamp is started. The INI file doesn't contain MPC plugin filename and all the settings from MPC plugin are written to "musepack.ini" file. So, I guess cmamet's winamp.ini is fine, but I can't guarentee of course (:

But I stand for that the plugin should be named the same: "in_mpc.dll".

I uploaded 0.99g at: http://miksha.italy.com and you can contact me if you decide to.

Regards, Miksha
Old 05 September 2005, 06:38 am   #14
miksha

Hi,

BTW why are both:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/ and http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/mpc/ dead? Is the site down temporary or for good?

Regards, Miksha
Old 05 September 2005, 02:27 pm   #15
Shy
Admin

He decided to close most of his personal site except parts like the EAC guide. Currently he has no time to maintain most things in it anymore so that was his decision, but it may not be permanent.

Since Case no longer maintains the plugin, we have replaced 0.99f on our site with Miksha's updated 0.99g which you can now call the official one.
Old 05 September 2005, 11:46 pm   #16
cmamet

In one of my previous post, I mentioned that I could not reproduce the crash on a fresh Winamp install without copying my winamp.ini file.
That made us think the crash could be the result of a broken ini file.

So I decided to merge piece by piece my "broken ini file" with a "sane ini file", to find out which part of my ini file was broken.
Eventually, it appeared that the "repeat=1" line in the [Winamp] section was the unexpected culprit.
As a conclusion, my winamp.ini file is not broken at all, but the crash only occurs if the repeat option is enabled, and it is not by default on a fresh winamp install.

I think this was the last point that needed some clarification.
And now I believe there is no more doubt that the problem I reported is exactly the same problem Miksha previously reported.