Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > MPC for UNIX

Old 01 August 2004, 09:37 am   #1
Lefungus
Procrastinator

Default Xmms / Beep plugins for musepack

Here is the thread related to those plugins.
Any bug report is appreciated
Both plugins are currently at version alpha 6. Check linux section of the site for downloads.
In next version, thanks to Malkodan, we'll get id3v1 support in both reading and writing. APE2 tag writing support after that. And then if noone complains too much, it'll be released as 1.1
Lefungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2004, 07:18 pm   #2
caligae

Any plans to put back the sources of the old plugin (I think it was version 0.99)? The new libmusepack based plugin only seems to work on Linux. I still haven't found what causes it to crash on playback on FreeBSD.
caligae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2004, 07:29 pm   #3
Lefungus
Procrastinator

Version 1.0 is still available at sourceforge.net. It's 0.99 with just a minor bugfix. It should work for you although some bugs still remain in it like the random crashing at the end of songs.

As i don't have freebsd, i still have no clue why it doesn't work under it. I'll appreciate any help for it. And i think it's just a matter of using a specific Makefile for it as it seems related to pthreads.
Old 07 August 2004, 08:24 pm   #4
caligae

I was not aware of the sourceforge page, thanks.

I'm not sure if it's really pthread related.

In DecodeThread(), if I comment out the code after (including) "MPC_decoder decoder(&reader);" it doesn't crash -- but doesn't do much useful stuff either of course. In the unmodified version, it crashes as soon as the function is entered (it doesn't even reach the first statement in the function).
caligae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2004, 03:13 pm   #5
Fed

Default Issue with the xmms plugin and alsa (dmix)

Hi, 8)
I've got some 'noise' while playing mpc files while using alsa output with dmix. No dmix and the sound is clear as it should be. Leave you my .asoundrc and go check some alsa doc.
Code:
pcm.nforce-hw {

type hw

card 0

}

pcm.!default {

type plug

slave.pcm "nforce"

}

pcm.nforce {

type dmix

ipc_key 1234

slave {

pcm "hw:0,0"

period_time 0

period_size 1024

buffer_size 4096

}

}

ctl.nforce-hw {

type hw

card 0

}
Old 28 October 2004, 01:26 am   #6
TylerE

Default Date field bug

In the XMMS plugin, only the first four characters of the date (aka year) field are shown. I have lots of files with full YYYY-MM-DD date fields, but can't see the extended data. This is most annoying.
TylerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2004, 02:03 am   #7
TylerE

Oh, to furthur clarify, if I right click the playlist entry and "View Info", the full date is shown in the field, so I know it's being stored in the file, accessed by the plugin, etc. This is purely a cosmetic issue.
Old 28 October 2004, 05:31 pm   #8
The_Paranoid

Send a message via ICQ to The_Paranoid

yep, but i think this is a XMMS/BMP Problem. XMMS/BMP wants the YEAR-Field for the playlist as integer. So you can store the year as string in the files. But when the year is shown in the playlist it gets converted to an integer which doesn't support "-" or other characters apart numbers. So the year is truncated at the first character which isn't number ....
Old 29 October 2004, 04:41 am   #9
TylerE

I don't think so. I've done this fine with FLAC, Vorbis, and MP3 files.
Old 10 November 2004, 09:47 pm   #10
TylerE

I've worked out a workaround for my issue.

If you add the following line at around line 325 in libmpc.cpp (The title formatting stuff), you can use the %d qualifer in XMMS to get the full field

input3->date = tag2->year;

Date is a gchar field, so it can display the full value just fine.
Old 28 November 2004, 04:55 pm   #11
Lefungus
Procrastinator

TylerE, I added your workaround in both plugins.

In other news, libmusepack-1.0.3, xmms-musepack-1.1 and bmp-musepack-1.1 are released. Soon to be hosted on musepack.net.

Everything use autotools now. I hope it'll make it easier for people to install and use. No new features. libmusepack should be much faster than 1.0.2 because floating-point-mode was disabled by default.

Each of them are considered stable.

Nota: This version of libmusepack may break backwards compatibility with previous compiled plugins due to the floating/fixed point mode changes. If so, you just need to recompile those plugins against the new library. Sorry for that.
Old 28 November 2004, 06:47 pm   #12
Shy
Admin

Site updated with new versions, enjoy.
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2004, 12:41 pm   #13
Marek

I have just installed libmusepack-1.0.3.tar.bz2 and then xmms-musepack-1.1.tar.bz2. Both things the same way with ./configure, make, make install.

Unfortunately, the new xmms-plugin does not work here in xmms 1.2.10. The mpc libraries can be located in /usr/lib/xmms/Input with all the other input plugins, but the mpc-Plugin does not show up in the Audio I/O-Plugins in xmms. Any ideas?
Code:
/usr/lib/xmms/Input/

|-- libcdaudio.so

|-- libmikmod.so

|-- libmpc.la

|-- libmpc.so

|-- libmpg123.so

|-- libtonegen.so

|-- libvorbis.so

`-- libwav.so
I am running a Mandrakelinux 10.1 dsitro.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2004, 01:50 pm   #14
Lefungus
Procrastinator

My guess is, if you launch xmms into a terminal, it will complain about a missing object.

If so, you need to tell libmusepack configure where your libs are usually located.
The default it's '/usr/local/lib', but maybe it's '/usr/lib' on mandrake 10.1
If so, you need to do
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr && make install
It'll put the library into /usr/lib and the headers into /usr/include (instead of /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include)
Old 29 November 2004, 05:17 pm   #15
Marek

Oh, yes the prefix did the trick! Thank you!

BTW
I have written a couple of weeks ago a short installation-howto for musepack on Mandrakelinux in german where I have just "corrected" a few things: http://mandrakeuser.de/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=46310
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2005, 09:27 am   #16
obTuSEPACK

I installed the latest "stable" version of BMP primarily because it had MPC support. Everything seemed to work fine until I noticed that:

1. It would play through about 30 min. - 45 min. of a playlist then shut down, i.e., simpy disappear from the desktop;
2. I also noticed that if you scroll through the playlist quickly back and forth, the same shutdown / disappearing act occurs.

I first thought it might be an unstable skin (default), so I downloaded some others; that didn't help. Next, I tested the theory that BMP didn't like large playlists; I tested a playlist with 1750 songs and one with 100 songs; same erratic behavior as previously noted with both playlist sizes.

Finally, I installed XMMS along with the XMMS MPC plugin and XMMS exhibited the same behavior.

After disabling the MPC plug-ins (XMMS & BMP), both applications function normally.

Other notes:

1. I tested playlist formats of type *.pls and *.m3u with the same results for each;
2. The shutdown occured whether MP3, OGGs or MPCs were playing, or whether nothing at all was playing in the case of the "quick scroll through playlist" issue;
3. BMP is using OSS output;
4. XMMS was tested with various outputs;
5. Selecting "Enable Dynamic BitRate Display" seemed to make the plug-ins more stable as it seemed to extend the play time of XMMS and BMP to ~ 3 hours before "disappearing". I have no clue why this would impact anything;
6. No other MusePack options were enabled;
7. These results are repeatable (and were repeated many times during testing).

Below is information that may or may not be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------
--Additional Info --

--OS & Installation Process:

SuSE 9.2 64-bit
XMMS - Installed from vendor RPM
XMMS MPC plug-in - Installed from source
BMP - Installed from source
BMP MPC plug-in - Installed from source

--XMMS Debug Info

___
**Running "gdb xmms" in the terminal gives this:

myusername@myhostname:~> gdb xmms
GNU gdb 6.2.1
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-suse-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/xmms
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 182916025504 (LWP 5765)]
[New Thread 1075837280 (LWP 5768)]

GLib-CRITICAL **: file gutils.c: line 265 (g_basename): assertion `file_name !=NULL' failed.
[New Thread 1077934432 (LWP 5769)]

**Then scrolling quickly through the PlayList sends this to the terminal and the PC locks up. Only power-off will re-boot.

Program received signal SIGSEV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 1077934432(LWP 5774)]
0x0000002a973b0c24 in strncopy () from /lib64/tls/libc.so.6

___
** Running from terminal as XMMS (without gdb) gives this:

myusername@myhostname:~> xmms

GLib-CRITICAL **: file gutils.c: line 265 (g_basename): assertion `file_name !=NULL' failed.

** Then scrolling quickly through the PlayList sends this message to the terminal and XMMS disappears from the screen. Checking running processes indicates that XMMS is completely shutdown:

Segmentation fault

You've probably found a bug in XMMS, please visit
http://bugs.xmms.org and fill out a bug report.

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x30f8)!

-----------------------------

--BMP Debug Info

___
**Running "gdb /usr/local/bin/beep-media-player" in the terminal gives this:

myusername@myhostname:~> gdb /usr/local/bin/beep-media-player
GNU gdb 6.2.1
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-suse-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/beep-media-player
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 182939550976 (LWP 5784)]
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1075837280 (LWP 5787)]
Detaching after fork from child process 5788.
Detaching after fork from child process 5789.
[New Thread 1077934432 (LWP 5790)]

**Then scrolling quickly through the PlayList sends this to the terminal (same message as XMMS sent) and the PC locks up. Only power-off will re-boot.

Program received signal SIGSEV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 1077934432(LWP 5774)]
0x0000002a973b0c24 in strncopy () from /lib64/tls/libc.so.6

___
** Running BMP from terminal(without gdb) gives this:

myusername@myhostname:~> /usr/local/bin/beep-media-player

** Program runs normally with no message sent to terminal.

** Then, scrolling quickly through the PlayList sends this message to the terminal and XMMS disappears from the screen:

Received SIGSEGV

This could be a bug in BMP. If you don't know why this happened, send a mail tous at beepmp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Aborted
obTuSEPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 07:42 pm   #17
Lefungus
Procrastinator

I'll try to see if I can reproduce it.
Can you check with a minimalistic playlist ?
Maybe it's one file which is more prone to trigger the bug.
I know I have some issues with files and unicode characters on a windows filesystem. But it doesn't make the whole thing crash though.
Old 21 February 2005, 11:23 pm   #18
obTuSEPACK

Quote:
Can you check with a minimalistic playlist ?
Maybe it's one file which is more prone to trigger the bug.
I know I have some issues with files and unicode characters on a windows filesystem. But it doesn't make the whole thing crash though.
Thank you for the reply. I've been having MPC withdrawals!

Anyway, what exactly would you like me to try? I tested with a couple of different 100 file playlists and a 1750 file playlist; was 100 songs minimal enough?

By the way, the MPCs that I am attempting to play are on a Windows FAT 32 partition mounted by Linux. I mention this since you said you had observed issues with Windows file system (although not as severe).

Let me know if you have any specifics about the playlist you would like me to try. In the meantime, I'll test some playlists in the 15, 20, and 30 song range, keeping in mind that the crash while playing usually occurs about 30 minutes into playtime.

Thanks again and good luck reproducing this.
Old 22 February 2005, 07:43 pm   #19
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

Send a message via ICQ to xmixahlx

if you are actually having withdrawls, then use lamip - which also supports gapless playback

later
Old 25 February 2005, 12:34 pm   #20
obTuSEPACK

Default Solved

Problem is solved.

Since XMMS and BMP crashed not only while playing files, but also while scrolling through the playlist, my focus was on the playlist as a cause for the crashes. Then after more reflection, I theorized that the players were crashing when scrolling through the playlists because something in the file tags were not being read correctly as the playlist was updated in the playlist editor screen (while scrolling). So, after manually attempting to play each file in my collection (over 2000), I found several that caused the crash when anything was done with the files (attempting to play, adding to a playlist, scrolling past in the playlist editor, etc.). After going back in to Windows XP and opening up my favorite tag editor, I noticed that all the files that were crashing had a slash ("/") in the genre field (e.g., Folk/Rock). However, some other files with the same genre field were not causing the players to crash. So, after some experimentation, here are the conclusions:

- If an MPC file had a "/" in Genre Field and tag type was APEv2 (IDv1 APEv2), the file would cause a crash.

- If an MPC file had a "/" in Genre Field and tag type was ID3v2 (ID3v1 ID3v2) or APEv2, the file would not cause a crash.

Solutions:
- Change the "/" to another character; "-" worked for me.

OR

- Change the tag type from APE (IDv1 APEv2) to something else; APEv2 or IDE3v2 (IDEv1 IDEv2) worked for me.

Application of only one of the above solutions is required, but a combination of the 2 also works (i.e., change "/" and tag type).

While I may have not uncovered other similar issues yet, so far this seems to have been the major issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you.

PS
- I only tested this with BMP so far, but I think one could extrapolate that the fix would apply to using the MPC plugin for XMMS since XMMS displayed the same crash symptoms as BMP.

- The same files with the same tags that caused crashes using MPC in Linux do not cause crashes in Windows XP players (FooBar2000, for example).

- Before fixing the files (see above), I tested them from a Linux partition and from a Windows partition (where they are normally stored), and the crash symptoms and the fix(es) were the same regardless of OS file system.