Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > General

Closed Thread

Old 14 April 2005, 09:59 pm   #1
Dro77naR

Default How to split a mpc file?

I have ripped and encoded to mpc an album with hidden track which is in the last track after some time of silence... how can I split this file into two and delete the silence from one of them?
Old 15 April 2005, 01:14 am   #2
Shy
Admin

Currently there's no tool for cutting MPC files. Also, note that cutting lossy files is usually not a good idea.
I would recommend keeping this hidden track in its original form, which is of course hidden. That way, you'll be keeping a copy accurate in form to the original album.
If you're concerned about naming, I suggest naming the last track "Track Name / Hidden Track."
If you're concerned about the silence taking up storage space, you don't need to, as digital silence only takes a few bits per second.

If you don't mind changing the structure of the album, and would prefer to get rid of the silence and to divide the tracks, the best way to do this would be to use an audio editor, which includes tools for easy and accurate deleting, cutting and pasting of audio segments, to edit the uncompressed file.
Some free solutions are Audacity, Kristal Audio Engine, and SoundEngine.
Old 15 April 2005, 02:44 am   #3
xmixahlx
Musepack developer

Send a message via ICQ to xmixahlx

eheh

"wtf is all this windows zealotry, huh? this is a unix forum!"

seriously, tho. your only option is to decode to wave and process with the audio editor of your choice.

your first step would be trying to find the source of the musepack file uncompressed and use that instead. then remove the silence. then encode to musepack.

later
Old 15 April 2005, 06:17 am   #4
Seed
Musepack Nanny

Audacity works very well on Linux.

I'd strongly recommend cutting the original if you must divide the tracks and remove the silence (Surely you own the album, so it's no problem ). Any other way would be both lossy and painful.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:43 am   #5
Dro77naR

Thank you for answers

I don't mind changing the structure, so I rip this track again and edit in some audio editor for Linux. Thanks again

PS. This time I really own this album so it's no problem
Old 15 April 2005, 08:48 pm   #6
Shy
Admin

Since this question concerns users of more than one operating system, I included Audacity (a multi OS editor) first and two other free editors, since Audacity is not the only free audio editor in the world.
I thought about moving this to General, but didn't, and the outcome wasn't so good. So now this thread is in General.
Closed Thread