Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > Tech

Old 27 December 2006, 12:18 pm   #1
r2d
Musepack developer

Question SV8 wishes

Hello,

SV8 is on it's way. One target of the first SV8 release is lossless conversion from SV7 files, so there will be limited changes in the compression engine.
You can see the current SV8 schedule of conditions ( http://trac.musepack.net/trac/wiki/S...leOfConditions ) in the Musepack Trac Wiki. I'm waiting for your wishes / comments / improvement suggestions on this stream.
r2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 10:52 am   #2
Shy
Admin

Note that requesting elimination of internal clipping and improved huffman coding (~2% size gain) is not needed, as that's already done .
Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2007, 12:50 am   #3
reezeh

Wink

All I can think of, and my personal wishlist is easy streamability and maybe an app or plugin to allow it with foobar2k or some commonly used media player. Hopefully the basic data in the mpc files will be identical or close as hinted at so far
reezeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2007, 05:04 am   #4
kmart

Not sure if you saw the post over in Hydrogenaudio so I thought I'd bring it up here.

Is it too late to change the format/structure of the Encoder Info block? It was suggested that it could be useful to store more information about the --quality setting used for encoding. The original poster wanted to store two decimal places but that would take at least 10 bits. However, using 7 bits (the 4 currently used as well as the 3 unused bits) we could store one decimal place and still keep the Encoder Info block at 32 bits.

That way we could save --quality 0.0 - 10.0 and still have some room for some reserved/experimental settings.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 10:06 am   #5
r2d
Musepack developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
Not sure if you saw the post over in Hydrogenaudio so I thought I'd bring it up here.

Is it too late to change the format/structure of the Encoder Info block? It was suggested that it could be useful to store more information about the --quality setting used for encoding. The original poster wanted to store two decimal places but that would take at least 10 bits. However, using 7 bits (the 4 currently used as well as the 3 unused bits) we could store one decimal place and still keep the Encoder Info block at 32 bits.

That way we could save --quality 0.0 - 10.0 and still have some room for some reserved/experimental settings.
I've seen it, and plan to do as you said. Just need to change the spec (and the code). Don't worry about the changes in the spec, everything can still be changed.
r2d is offline   Reply With Quote