Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > MPC for UNIX

Old 19 January 2005, 07:44 pm   #1
quimbaya

Default Xine now supports Musepack

Hello all:

After kuniklo ported libmusepack successfully to plain C (Thread about this topic on the Musepack developer forum), James Stembridge from the xine developer team last week implemented Musepack support in xine. All interested in the code are encouraged to download xine-lib from the xine Sourceforge cvs.

I have been running amaroK with the xine backend for the last two days, and Musepack reproduction is working very well.

Just a heads-up for all interested in running xine with support for playing back mpc files, and a big thank you for the developers who made that possible.
quimbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2005, 11:29 am   #2
Lefungus
Procrastinator

I haven't been able to test yet, but are tags handled by xine-lib ? Does it support Apev2 tags and does it report replaygain to the player ?

Xine-lib can also be used under totem, for the gnome-centric people
Lefungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2005, 06:46 pm   #3
quimbaya

Quote:
I haven't been able to test yet, but are tags handled by xine-lib ? Does it support Apev2 tags and does it report replaygain to the player ?
Xine is foremost a vide player, and while I am not aware of Musepack being used as audio codec in videos, I wouldn't use a video player for playing back my audio files, either. I have been looking forward to being able to use the xine engine in KDE's amaroK audio player, because I didn't want to having to install in addition to the xine libraries GStreamer with all its own stuff. With amaroK and taglib 1.3, the tagging of mpc files works well enough for my needs.

As to reporting replaygain to the player, I haven't done tests on that.

Xine's support for Musepack is still in the cvs, no official release supports it at that moment. But it needs testing to make sure playing back Musepack files works well enough to use xine as a backend library for audio players that support this.
quimbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2005, 11:28 pm   #4
kuniklo

This is very cool. It makes me happy to see so many new players supporting musepack.
kuniklo is offline   Reply With Quote