Musepack Forums  

Go Back   Musepack Forums > Main > General

Closed Thread

Old 13 November 2005, 01:56 am   #1
KHRoN

Default SV7.5 | SV8

Sorry, but I'll ask out of curiosity cause I didn't find any satisfying info... when will SV7.5 or SV8 be out? O_o
Old 13 November 2005, 02:32 pm   #2
Shy
Admin

It will be out after we get any/enough responsion from codec development people.
Due to the fact that Frank Klemm, and Andree Buschmann who we have been in contact with recently, have little time and resources to dedicate to SV8 development, work on it will have to be done without them if we want it to be finished in any reasonable timeframe. And this work is quite demanding.
There is a major shortage of experienced developers in the open source multimedia technology field, a problem which many projects are experiencing, inluding ours. I have mentioned several times that we'd appreciate help from anyone who feels they can help move SV8 development to the next level, so far there has been little responsion.

I'll take this opportunity as well and say that we'd appreciate help from whoever feels capable. Currently, Musepack's only issue is the limited SV7 bitstream which doesn't allow for proper seeking or muxing. SV8 will refine the format by solving all our major obstacles.
Old 13 November 2005, 03:39 pm   #3
KHRoN

big THX I'll translate it and post it in Polish - not only I was the one curiuos about that...

and BTW - I do know what the SV8 is (or will be), and I am waiting for that for long time now...
but since SV8 there will be no official support from hardware players, it cannot be muxed, it is - generally speaking - used only by those who have plenty of storage space but also limited to listening on computer (only a few have H-100, and a few of a few have rockBOX)... and however good, it will lose, or rather already lost competition with OGG Vorbis

well... IMO it is a good reason to make MPC "open" - just to let it live, or it will end as "1.99 SV7" dedicated to "hardcore MPC users"... I am not developer, but there are people who will "tak care of" MPC if they will have any chance for that
(huh... I'm wondering if what I said is true... nay... MPC is not open/GPL now, is it?)
Old 13 November 2005, 04:49 pm   #4
Shy
Admin

Once again yet another unrelated "professional analysis".
This thread was not meant to discuss Musepack's popularity, competition with other codecs, people's preferences and so on.

1. Musepack is supported by Rockbox (which I wouldn't say is a project that a "few" people use, considering it has nearly a million Google search results), will be supported by Neuros, and iPod Linux is working on it too. The Core Pocket Media Player supports it, and there is a Roku PhotoBridge HD plugin. All of them will naturally update their firmware/software to support SV8 when necessary, as it's all based on our libmpcdec.

2. Do you think only "those who have plenty of storage space" use Musepack? Are those people ones with hundreds of gigabytes? The --standard preset's avarage bitrate is around 176kbps, meaning higher quality at lower size than any competition.

3. If you think Musepack is "losing" anything, all the statistics such as the tens of thousands of new visitors to our site each month, increasing usage and discussion of the format all over by users satisfied by the format's top quality, many major companies' interest in our files, Musepack being the top pick other than the popular MP3 according to a Hydrogenaudio survey, being supported by popular software on every possible widely used (and some not so widely used) platform and gaining further support by many unique and new applications, etc, shows otherwise.

4. Our decoder library is under a BSD like license, which is better than GPL and LGPL for providing as highly unrestrictive terms as possible, enabling the format to be supported everywhere by anyone, even the most closed, non open companies.

Thread closed, read our terms of service.
Closed Thread